Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1lb peeled, deveined, tail-off prawns (41/50 size or 31/40 size work best) from your local Fisherman’s Market
- 1lb andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
- 3 strips thick sliced bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 red onion, large diced
- 1 white onion, large diced
- 2 bell pepper, large diced
- 4 stalks of celery, thin sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, thin sliced
- 1x 15oz can diced tomatoes in water
- 1x 15oz can black beans
- 1 cup whole-kernel corn
- 1L chicken stock + 1L water
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning + 1 tsp separated
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Prep your veggies: onions, peppers, celery and jalapeno can be added to a bowl together. Minced garlic separate. Rinse and drain beans, and have your diced tomato can open (you want the liquid added to the soup so do not drain) and corn measured.
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, heat to medium and add in diced bacon and sausage. Cook until the bacon is crispy and the sausage rounds are browning, remove from the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving the bacon fat behind and add in butter. Add garlic to the pot and sauté for one minute, before adding the bowl of veggies and sautéing until onions become semi-transparent. Add in your 1 tbsp Old Bay and Cajun seasoning and stir well to bloom flavours.
- Add in the can of diced tomatoes, can of black beans, cup of corn, chicken stock, water and bay leaves. Allow to come to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until veggies are soft.
- In a separate frying pan heated to medium-high, add prawns with 1 tsp Old Bay and a little olive oil. Cook until prawns are opaque and firm, and then spoon them into the soup, adding back in the sausage and bacon at the same time.
Keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This recipe was created by Chef Jessi Wall, Fisherman’s Market Kelowna store manager, 2022.