Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 8 10/20 Hokkaido scallops from your local Fisherman’s Market (other sizes and kinds will work as well)
- 3 nests of Pappardelle
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g semi-soft goat cheese (can add more or less based on your preference)
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable or other oil)
- 4 tbsp butter (1 tbsp separated)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp salt
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized pot, bring 6 cups of water and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil, then add pasta and simmer until pasta is al dente (about 10-12 minutes). Set aside 1/4 cup of pasta water and strain the rest.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saucepan to medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil then mushrooms and garlic and cook until mushrooms are dark and cooked through. Then add goat cheese and 3 tbsp of butter, reduce heat and mix until combined.
- Add the cooked pasta to the mushrooms and goat cheese and stir in 1/4 cup of pasta water and let simmer. Stir until everything is combined.
- Pat the scallops dry and generously sprinkle salt on top.
- Heat a small pan on high with 1 tbsp of oil until it starts to smoke, add scallops salt side down in a circle formation, then sprinkle salt on the top (place scallops between 1 1/2cm to 2cm apart from each other).
- Going around the circle, flip each scallop after 1 minute or when golden brown on the bottom. Cook for 30 seconds then add 1 tbsp of butter, baste over the scallops for an additional 30 seconds then set aside to rest for 30 seconds.
- Plate the pasta and add the scallops on top.
This recipe was created by Tyrone Gordon, Fisherman’s Market Burnaby store manager.